In general, while the Eisner judges did not nominate exactly the works I would have nominated (I would have nominated Ms. Marvel and Lumberjanes for at least something), this is a strong ballot as usual.
Best Short Story
- “Mostly Saturn,” by Michael DeForge, in Island Magazine #8 (Image)
I don’t think I read any of the others.
Best Single Issue/One-Shot
- Beasts of Burden: What the Cat Dragged In, by Evan Dorkin, Sarah Dyer, and Jill Thompson (Dark Horse)
This was the only one I read.
Best Continuing Series
- Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image)
Best Limited Series
- The Vision, by Tom King and Gabriel Walta (Marvel)
I’m a bit surprised this was considered a limited series.
Best New Series
- Faith, by Jody Houser, Pere Pérez, and Marguerite Sauvage (Valiant)
Best Publication for Early Readers (up to age 8) – no vote
Best Publication for Kids (ages 9-12)
- Ghosts, by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic)
- Hilda and the Stone Forest, by Luke Pearson (Flying Eye Books)
- Rikki, adapted by Norm Harper and Matthew Foltz-Gray (Karate Petshop)
- Science Comics: Dinosaurs, by MK Reed and Joe Flood (First Second)
Best Publication for Teens (ages 13-17)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, by Ryan North and Erica Henderson (Marvel)
Best Humor Publication
- Jughead, by Chip Zdarsky, Ryan North, Erica Henderson, and Derek Charm (Archie)
- Island Magazine, edited by Brandon Graham and Emma Rios (Image)
Best Reality-Based Work
- Rosalie Lightning: A Graphic Memoir, by Tom Hart (St. Martin’s)
This is the first category so far that I’ve had to seriously think about; March volume 3 is the other strong candidate.
Best Graphic Album—New
- The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye, by Sonny Liew (Pantheon)
I haven’t read this yet but it looks like the best.
Best Graphic Album—Reprint
- Demon, by Jason Shiga (First Second)
Tough choice between this and Incomplete Works. I have both but have not finished reading either.
Best U.S. Edition of International Material
- Moebius Library: The World of Edena, by Jean “Moebius” Giraud et al. (Dark Horse)
I’d almost rather not vote for this because it’s material that was already published in English, but the only other one I read was Wrinkles, and it wasn’t as good as The World of Edena.
Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia
- Goodnight Punpun, vols. 1–4, by Inio Asano, translated by JN PRoductions (VIZ Media)
Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips (at least 20 years old)
- Barnaby, vol. 3, by Crockett Johnson, edited by Philip Nel and Eric Reynolds (Fantagraphics)
Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books (at least 20 Years Old)
- The Complete Wimmen’s Comix, edited by Trina Robbins (Fantagraphics)
I can’t afford this, but it looks like the best of the five.
- Brian K. Vaughan, Paper Girls, Saga, We Stand On Guard (Image)
- Tom Hart, Rosalie Lightning: A Graphic Memoir (St. Martin’s)
Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
- Fiona Staples, Saga (Image)
Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
- Sana Takeda, Monstress (Image)
Admittedly I am erring on the side of voting for someone who might show up to accept her Eisner.
Best Cover Artist (for multiple covers)
- Mike Del Mundo, Avengers, Carnage, Mosaic, The Vision (Marvel)
- Matt Wilson, Cry Havoc, Paper Girls, The Wicked + The Divine (Image); Black Widow, The Mighty Thor, Star-Lord (Marvel)
- Tom Gauld, Mooncop (Drawn & Quarterly)
Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism
- WomenWriteAboutComics.com, edited by Megan Purdy and Claire Napier
Best Comics-Related Book
- Krazy: George Herriman, A Life in Black and White, by Michael Tisserand (Harper)
Looking forward to reading this.
Best Academic/Scholarly Work
- Forging the Past: Set and the Art of Memory, by Daniel Marrone (University Press of Mississippi)
I’m just guessing because I haven’t read any of these.
Best Publication Design
- The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye, designed by Sonny Liew (Pantheon)
- Bird Boy, by Anne Szabla, http://bird-boy.com
Best Digital Comic
- Bandette, by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover (Monkeybrain/comiXology)
What’s the difference between these categories?