I got nominated for an Eisner! I’m kind of shocked. This may be the greatest moment of my career.
Here are my Eisner picks, as usual. I will use an asterisk * to denote categories where I have not read any of the nominees, and am just guessing as to which one I would like best.
Best Short Story*
- “Life During Interesting Times,” by Mike Dawson (The Nib), https://thenib.com/greatest-generation-interesting-times
Best Single Issue/One-Shot
- No Better Words, by Carolyn Nowak (Silver Sprocket)
I missed ordering Peter Parker #310.
Best Continuing Series
- Runaways, by Rainbow Rowell and Kris Anka (Marvel)
Best Limited Series
- Mister Miracle, by Tom King and Mitch Gerads (DC)
Exit Stage Left is also a strong candidate.
Best New Series
- Gideon Falls, by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino (Image)
Crowded and Isola are also excellent choices. I wouldn’t have nominated Man-Eaters.
Best Publication for Early Readers (up to age 8)*
- Petals, by Gustavo Borges (KaBOOM!)
Best Publication for Kids (ages 9–12)
- Be Prepared, by Vera Brosgol (First Second)
Still haven’t read Crush
Best Publication for Teens (ages 13–17)
- The Prince and the Dressmaker, by Jen Wang (First Second)
Tough, but The Prince and the Dressmaker was one of the best books of the year.
Best Humor Publication
- Giant Days, by John Allison, Max Sarin, and Julia Madrigal (BOOM! Box)
- Puerto Rico Strong, edited by Marco Lopez, Desiree Rodriguez, Hazel Newlevant, Derek Ruiz, and Neil Schwartz (Lion Forge)
I have this but haven’t read it yet.
Best Reality-Based Work*
- One Dirty Tree, by Noah Van Sciver (Uncivilized Books)
Best Graphic Album—New*
- Sabrina, by Nick Drnaso (Drawn & Quarterly)
Best Graphic Album—Reprint
- Young Frances, by Hartley Lin (AdHouse Books)
Berlin and Girl Town would also be great choices.
Best Adaptation from Another Medium*
- Speak: The Graphic Novel, by Laurie Halse Anderson and Emily Carroll (Farrar Straus Giroux)
Best U.S. Edition of International Material*
- Herakles Book 1, by Edouard Cour, translated by Jeremy Melloul (Magnetic/Lion Forge)
I’m surprised not to see any books from IDW or Cinebook nominated.
Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia*
- Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction, by Inio Asano, translated by John Werry (VIZ Media)
Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips*
- Pogo, vol. 5: Out of This World At Home, by Walt Kelly, edited by Mark Evanier and Eric Reynolds (Fantagraphics)
Best Archival Collection/Project—Comic Books
- Dirty Plotte: The Complete Julie Doucet (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Jeff Lemire, Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows, Quantum Age (Dark Horse); Descender, Gideon Falls, Royal City (Image)
A very strong category, but Jeff Lemire has been extremely strong and consistent this year.
- Jen Wang, The Prince and the Dressmaker (First Second)
My other choice would be Nick Drnaso, but I haven’t read Sabrina yet.
Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
- Karl Kerschl, Isola (Image)
I’m pleased to see Matias Bergara nominated.
Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
- Dustin Nguyen, Descender (Image)
Best Cover Artist (for multiple covers)
- Nick Derington, Mister Miracle (DC)
- Tamra Bonvillain, Alien 3 (Dark Horse); Batman, Doom Patrol (DC); Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Multiple Man (Marvel)
- Todd Klein— Black Hammer: Age of Doom, Neil Gaiman’s A Study in Emerald (Dark Horse); Batman: White Night (DC); Eternity Girl, Books of Magic (Vertigo/DC); The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest (Top Shelf/IDW)
Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism*
- Back Issue, edited by Michael Eury (TwoMorrows)
Best Comics-Related Book*
- Drawn to Purpose: American Women Illustrators and Cartoonists, by Martha H. Kennedy (University Press of Mississippi)
Best Academic/Scholarly Work
- Between Pen and Pixel: Comics, Materiality, and the Book of the Future, by Aaron Kashtan (Ohio State University Press)
Congratulations to my fellow nominees. So nice to be able to say that.
Best Publication Design*
- A Sea of Love, designed by Wilfrid Lupano, Grégory Panaccione, and Mike Kennedy (Magnetic/Lion Forge)
Best Digital Comic*
- Umami, by Ken Niimura (Panel Syndicate), http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/umami
- The Contradictions, by Sophie Yanow, www.thecontradictions.com